Thursday, December 6, 2018

Ramblings of a woman in the 21st century India

It probably is an imaginary world where I suffer 
No one can see the reasons for my pain 
Does it mean that I don’t 
I am fighting my own monsters to find freedom and peace 
Freedom within to achieve my dreams, 
Freedom to chase my blurry vision of success 
Yes, I get distracted by every unkind word 
Yes, I get called out ‘petty’ to be hurt by ‘petty’ things
So the fault must be mine,
I wasn’t ready to be called nikammi for not knowing the difference between patheela and patheeli 
Fault must be mine... even after 30 plus years in this patriarchal world, 
I am still naive to be not okay with people inquiring if I contributed to the glory of Paratha making in the kitchen
I have always believed that everybody’s freedom ends at the tip of their nose. 
And how do I respect anyone who doesn’t respect their freedom or mine. 
If Parathas were all I wanted to make in my life, 
I know I can make better Parathas than most people around me. 
But I guess Parathas don't mean much to me after all!

No comments:

Post a Comment